Monday, October 12, 2009

CONFIG_RELOCATABLE fails booting linux-2.6.31.3 kernel

After compiling the recently brewed linux-2.6.31.3 kernel, noticed that the resultant binary failed to boot. After selecting the image from GRUB boot menu, the PC would just reset without any message.

Fortunately I had my previous configuration saved to compare against. Also, I knew what I had explicitly changed after invoking 'make oldconfig'. It was this little guy here:

CONFIG_RELOCATABLE

Looks like it is not working fine with my hardware configuration. Disabling it in the .config using xconfig fixes it. Thought I should share in case someone else is facing this, too.

Oh, and I decided to give the following a try for more responsive desktop environment:
# CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
CONFIG_PREEMPT=y

Yet to think of a test to feel the difference. At least the kernel boots :-)

No comments: